Getting Started - Timeline Data list tab
You will see the Timeline Data tab where you will start entering your timeline data (i.e. events), one row per event.
You also have the choice of opening an existing timeline file by clicking on File, Open.
Minimum entry requirement for a chart
- Enter an event name and a start date.
- Enter three or more events.
- Click New Timeline Chart tab to view your chart.
- Click on the Timeline Data tab to add or edit more events.
Details for each event are entered into each column, like a table. Simply click in the empty field under Event Name column and begin entering your information. To get to the next field use the Enter or Tab key on your keyboard.
If you do not have the information, skip that field and move on to the next. You can fill it in later if you want.
If you make a mistake you can always go back and edit your work by double-clicking on the field you want to change, then making your corrections.
To remove an entire event select one of the fields in the event and erase its contents. Or you can select the entire row and use Edit, Delete under the Home tab (Versions 4 and 3) or use the Minus (-) icon on the toolbar (version 2) to delete Alternatively, you can select the entire event by clicking in the Checkbox column and using the Delete key on your keyboard.
What the columns mean.
The Timeline Data list tab contains several different columns. Some are different in older versions of Timeline Maker.
· Check box: Used to show or hide an event in the Timeline Charts and Chronology. .
· Paper Clip: Indicates that this event has an attachment (i.e. document, email, sound file, etc.).
· Event Name: The name of the event as it will appear in the Chronology and Timeline Charts.
· Start: The date and time the event began. (Version 3 an above)
· Start Date: The date the event began. (Version 2)
· Start Time: The time the event began. (Version 2)
· End: The date and time the event ended. (Version 3 and above)
· End Date: The date the event ended. (Version 2)
· End Time: The time the event ended.
· Duration: The difference between the start and end date columns. (Version 3 and above)
· Category: Users can assign a category (such as a subject or topic) to each event for grouping and/or sequencing purposes.
Tip: Place, Notes and Source columns can be renamed by right-clicking on the column title. Additional columns may be added in Version 3.
Remember to Save your file before exiting!
Click File, Save. By default, the program saves your files in My Documents, My Timelines, unless you browse to another location.